Saturday, July 1, 2017

Photoshoot -- Harrington Beach Astronomic Observatory

I found out about a Non-Profit that I could join, they operate a 20" Telescope in a pretty dark sky area of Ozaukee county at Harrington Beach Park.    The "Club" worked with the State/State Parks, modeling after 1 other successful public/private partnership with a large scope in a State Park.    The club builds the building and gifts it to the Park, they get the land for free and of course no rent or anything silly like that.

The Park system also setup a nice parking lot and ancillary structures that can be used for picnics, presentations, and now they have functioning bathrooms nearby.    Last night was my first attendance.   The location is cool, because it's dark, much darker than my hometown, but also just 8 miles away from where I dock my boat.

It is hard shooting with "no light" and obviously I can't be using any flash while people are trying to observe  the heavens.    We saw Jupiter and its colored rings on the "surface" and 4 of it's moons, lined up dutifully in a very straight line.    We also saw Saturn and it's rings.    And M13 a cluster of stars about 25,100 light years away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_13










No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a comment here.